Friday, September 10, 2010

FREE!

Every time I post a free pattern, there are always a number of beaders who email to thank me for my generosity. When I look at some of the other "free" patterns and instructions out there on the Web, I am always amazed and proud to be part of such a generous community of artists. So, for those of you who are not aware of just how much wonderful "free" stuff is out there, this will be the first of a multi-blog series.

Ruby's Jewelry Design & Beadwork
Whenever beaders email and ask where I think the best place is for a beginner to start learning how to beadweave, I always send them to Ruby's site and tell them to order a copy of Beading with Ruby. However, Ruby also has loads of free tutorials up at RubysBeadwork.com and they are all well-illustrated, step-by-step and excellent. It's quite a varied collection, reflecting years of hard work. My favorites are her Herringbone stitch bracelets:



Whimbeads Free Beading Tutorials
This is where I learned to bezel a rivoli and there's also intructions for a Flat Undulating Herringbone Bracelet that is just awesome. For those of you who have been wanting to try out Miyuki's new Tila beads, Whimbeads just uploaded their Spikey TILA Bead Bracelet Tutorial:


Eva Maria Keiser Designs
If you are looking to learn some really unique beadweaving—and especially if you are a fan of the beaded bead—then check out Eva's "Complimentary" instructions, available for download in PDF form when you click on an image on the Learn page, with more free patterns available on her blog.


I look at her work in her blog and think, "Oh my heavens... never in a million years would I find the talent to create this kind of intricate beauty" but many of her free patterns certainly make me want to try.

More soon!

4 comments:

  1. How do I get directions for the bracelet shown at the top of the page using tila beads?

    Sharon Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby's bracelet doesn't use Tila Beads. It uses 4mm cubes instead of 4mm fire-polished beads in this tutorial:
    http://www.rubysbeadwork.com/HerringboneSparkleBracelet.html
    Scroll to the bottom of the page for cube directions.

    Marcia Balonis has a Tila Herringbone Bracelet pattern for sale on her site:
    http://www.baublesbybalonis.net
    Click on "Kits & Patterns for Sale".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deborah I would like to thank you for you site I live in England and I do not have anywhere where I can go and bead with other beaders so your site to me is absolutely
    wonderful.


    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deborah,

    I love your "free patterns" and have even taught my 78 year old mother how to bead. She is now "hooked' as a beader and just from one of your free design, she started creating various color combinations and they are just wonderful! Thank you for being so generous with your talent. Best regards, Marylou Occhi

    ReplyDelete